Thursday, February 25, 2010

"It Takes a Village"

One of my favorite Bishops (spiritual leader) frequently quoted the African proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child."  And what would I ever do without my village?
I am so grateful, everyday, for all the villagers I have surrounding my family.
This village includes; parents, siblings, cousins, other extended family, teachers, church leaders, community leaders, friends, neighbors, doctors etc.  And I am so blessed, that my village expands the globe.
I really believe that  there can be strength in numbers.  I know that on any given day there is always more than one prayer offered in behalf of my family and/or me.  Many days I know there are dozens of prayers offered (I can actually feel the strength that comes with these prayers).  There is always someone else, besides me, that is loving and teaching and caring for my children.  There is always someone to call on in time of need and always someone offering what I can not.  There is so much service going on around me that I reap the benefits even if it is not directly meant for me.
I know that are people working around me, every minute of the day, that affect my life.  Maybe even people I don't know, but are concerned for my village just the same.
I have 22 worthy priesthood holders just in my immediate extended family.  And literally hundreds more, within blocks of my house, that I could call on in time of need.  Most of these priesthood holders also have worthy wives and mothers that I could call on at any given moment. So many other friends and neighbors I can count on too. Tender mercies are abundant in my life.
I try to be a good villager.  I want to try harder.  I want to give back as much as I have received from my village.  There is not a talent I couldn't find among my villagers. I pray for my village.  I am so incredibly thankful to my village.  I love my village.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm a villager with you! And you are helping me raise mine, just with your smiles and loving words!